Monday, January 17, 2011

Scola e qualcosa

My school is not a University. It’s a language school named Idea Verona. It offers Italian language, painting, photography, art history, Italian business, cinema, opera, and literature. It’s very limited, but gives us the intro to the culture and language, and that’s how our program is designed. I’m in the second level of Italian, with 3 other U of I students and a man from India. Most people in the program are in the 1st level, and 2 are in 4th, while my roommate is in the 6th. So essentially, we’re all bumbling around with nothing close to fluency. My teacher is named Maurizio (Maurice), and refuses to speak English (though we figured out he speaks it a bit). 3 hours straight of nothing but speaking Italian, and I don’t remember half the verbs we learned. However, it forces you to produce the language and practice, and that’s important. We also have an optional conversation section which is designed to get us talking more about every day things (as in, not verbs). This so far has resulted in discussion on Italian creepers. There are many of them at the bar we go to. I drank my first beer! It was a hoegardenn, and literally the size of my head, and so heavy I needed 2 hands. Be proud, friends.

Ive yet to discuss the excursions from orientation or the excursion we’re taking this weekend. I don’t have internet in my apartment (it might happen, if I learn what 1G means, and why I cant skype with it despite “no data or hour limits”--nick, I’m looking at you here), so I can’t update this as often as I would like. I can also only Skype before 11:30 US time, since the school is only open that long(and my new internet won‘t let me?), and there’s no close WIFI hot spots. Italy is seriously not great on the internet connectivity. When it gets warmer, I might be able to go to a park, or possibly to a friend’s apartment. Things are still kind of up in the air on that front, but I’m sure something will work out.

1 comment: