Friday, April 29, 2011

Back to the past: Sneaking in some English

One day, Rosamaria, my Italian roommate asked me to go with her to her English class. I thought it’d be so interesting to meet her English teacher, and hear some fluent English for the first time in awhile. Rosamarias college is divided into 3 small campuses, each 1 or 2 large buildings and a cafeteria. It really reminded me of high school, honestly.
Her teacher was an American from California, who spoke fluent Italian (his father was Italian). This was the highest level class, and he spoke rather clearly, but as natural as you do to any American: he didn’t dumb it down at all. He gave them SAT reading/English worksheets to do, and I couldn’t help feeling sorry for them: I didn’t know some of the words in the analogy section. It’s supposed to help them with the English proficiency exams, where they won’t know every word, but I found it extremely useless. At some point, I got called on to read, and 5 seconds after opening my mouth, he called me out. “What are you doing here!” … “Listening to English?” “You’re not Italian.” He teased me the rest of the class, and offered me a job! Haha, life is quite crazy when you don’t speak the native language…
In any case, I can’t imagine that being my college career. Such a small school, so few choices…can’t wait to be back home, to my super-university!

No comments:

Post a Comment