Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ryanair, or how I learned to stop worrying and love Milan Bergamo

Today I took my last Ryan air flight. Ryanair is a budget airline that flies mostly into stupid obscure airports that are difficult to get to, so no one uses them. Ryanair them essentially takes over the airport, charges an arm and a leg for transport to it, and then sells cheap airfare online (as in, 10 to 20 euro instead of 80, cheap). They sell you things on your flight, and are in general, annoying. easy jet is similar, but with legit airports.

I used to hate Ryan air hardcore--it was sketchy, and the extra costs of traveling to obscure airports made the cheap prices irrelevant. They don’t guarantee their flights--as in, don’t try to connect through us, we don’t care. One "airport" was literally a flight strip with a warehouse for a "terminal". I must admit though, that I wouldn't have been able to go nearly as many places without Ryanair though.

I realized that, in general, traveling is extremely expensive and stressful, and that I don’t enjoy the process of it much. That’s not Ryanair’s fault. There’s no “right way” or “wrong way” to do it--sometimes the trip makes it worth it, and sometimes it doesn't. Travelling here is NOT a vacation, it can definitely be a chore. There's rarely time to just sit on the beach and chill (which is nice, when you can) when you travel on long weekends--you might have one or two days without a flight. It's rushed, hectic, and stressful, but still totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment